20-21 Plans and Welcome Back - News from Principal Grimes
July 10, 2020
Students, Parents, and Patrons of Avenue City School District,
We have missed you! The first day of school is one of my favorite days of the year. I cannot wait until Monday, August 24, 2020. Remember the first two days are partial days. School will dismiss on August 24th & 25th at 12:50 PM. We hope this will give us an idea of how things are going to operate and also allow the buses extra time for route adjustments due to the changes in operational procedures.
I realize that you have heard of other district’s modified plans of attendance. (half-time at school, half-time virtual school; for example) Currently this is NOT our plan. As of right now, we plan to follow our school calendar that the Board of Education approved in the spring of 2020. (attached)
I wanted to take this time to assure you that staff at Avenue City School District is working diligently to develop a plan for a safe and healthy environment for your child. We have developed and will implement many different layers of protection to help keep your child as safe and healthy as possible. Will school be different? Absolutely! However, a few things that will remain the same are that we plan to provide as much safety, love, and education as possible during this time.
Videos and messages will be coming out soon with more details about the district’s plan and the different layers of protection. Please note that our plan and modifications are fluid and will change as our situation changes. We are constantly working with county officials, state officials, parent volunteers, and board of education members to stay on top of recent guidelines and recommendations.
A few things you should expect to hear more about:
- Daily scanning temperatures of each child before entering school – Parents – please take note. If your child is running a temperature above 100.4 – they will not be permitted to ride bus or attend school! Make alternative plans!
- Washing hands / hand sanitizing stations
- Classes will be secluded – (ex: 3rd grade students will stay with 3rd grade). No planned intermingling of students from different classes
- No visitors in school building during the school day
- Plexiglas dividers on classroom tables
- While on the school bus, students will have assigned seating and be required to wear masks
- During the 1st quarter of the 2020-2021 school year, the School Aged Childcare program will not be available. We will reevaluate this program in October.
There is more, so much more. If you are not a member of the PTO Facebook page, please become a member. Also become a friend of Ace Aces on Facebook. This will be the first place where we release information about our plans. We will also post information on our website at www.avenuecityschool.org. As always, if you have any concerns or questions call me at school 816-662-2305 or email me at email@example.com.
Getting ACES ready for the 2020-2021 school year!
Avenue City School